Skip to main content

Transfer Credit FAQ | Bismarck State College

to the top of the page
Home Page

Transfer Credit FAQ

Is there financial aid available for transfer students?

Yes. Check with the Financial Aid for more information.

I have transfer credits from a previous institution I attended, but I don’t want to submit the transcripts to BSC. Am I able to do that?

All transcripts from any institution that a student attempted coursework from is required for their application.  If you withdrew from the institution, you will be asked to provide an enrollment verification from that institution to verify that you did not attend.

How many credits can I transfer?

If you are transferring from a regionally accredited institution, BSC does not currently limit the number of undergraduate credits you may transfer.  Keep in mind that you will need to complete a minimum number of institutional credits to receive a degree at BSC. 

How will my GPA transfer to BSC?

You will receive course credit for all previous coursework that is eligible for transfer to Bismarck State College. BSC will recalculate your GPA. Therefore, our GPA calculation may be different than the calculation given at your most recent institution depending on the courses you have taken.

GPA Calculator

How many credits must be taken at BSC to earn a degree?

To graduate from BSC, you must take a minimum number of credits from BSC, this varies by degree.
Please review the College Degree Requirements section of the catalog for the degree you plan to earn.

I don’t understand my credit evaluation. Can someone help me?

We’re happy to help! Please contact the Mystic Advising & Counseling Center (MACC) 701-224-5752 or email for assistance.

I have been accepted to BSC. How do I locate my official credit evaluation?

Once accepted,  you will have access to an official credit evaluation. The transfer credit evaluation can be found by logging into your CampusConnection account. Instructions for accessing your official evaluation can be found under “Accepted Students”. 

If you have any questions concerning your evaluation, please contact Academic Records at

I have AP or CLEP course credits. How do I know if you will accept them as college credit?

BSC accepts prior/alternative learning credits.  Click here for more information on prior learning.

What should I do to plan a successful transfer?

Students who plan, ask questions, and use pathways created by transfer and/or articulation agreements experience the most successful transfer experience. If you're currently enrolled at BSC, discuss your plans with your assigned academic advisor or the Mystic Advising and Counseling Center at 701-224-5752 or

Call or visit your intended transfer institution. Ask them to direct you to the following materials and information:
  • College catalog
  • Transfer brochure
  • Information on admissions criteria and on materials required for admission (e.g., portfolio, transcripts, test scores). Note that some majors have limited enrollments or their own special requirements such as a higher-grade point average.
  • Information on financial aid (how to apply and by what date).
After reviewing these materials, make an appointment to talk with an advisor/counselor at the transfer institution or program. Be sure to ask about course transfer and admission criteria.