Academic Records Drop/Withdraw Appeal
This procedure allows students the opportunity to appeal a transcript record. In order to be eligible for the appeal you must have the following:
- The Academic Records Drop/Withdrawal Appeal Form must be submitted to the Academic Records Office by the end of the next semester. (Example: student is appealing Fall 2011, must complete the form before the end of Spring 2012 semester.)
- The course(s) must be shown as a drop/withdraw in CampusConnection. If it is past the last day to drop with record the required supporting documentation is necessary.
- Extenuating circumstances (medical, military, death in immediate family, natural disasters) or an attempted to withdraw to zero credits within CampusConnection prior to the last day to withdraw to zero credits and received an error.
- Documentation must show a specific date that the extenuating circumstance took place.
- Grade to W – required documentation would need to support the drop/withdraw of the course(s) prior to “Last Day to Drop or Withdraw to Zero Credits” date on the Dates & Deadlines Schedule.
- Grade to No W – required documentation would need to support the drop/withdraw of the course(s) prior to the “Last Day to Drop (No Record)” date on the Dates & Deadlines Schedule.
- W to No W – required documentation would need to support the drop/withdraw of the course(s) prior to the “Last Day to Drop (No Record)” date on the Dates & Deadlines Schedule.
- Attempted to Drop – no documentation is required. The attempted date will need to be prior to the “Last Day to Drop or Withdraw to Zero Credits” date on the Dates & Deadlines Schedule.
Required Documentation for Appealing
- Medical- Letter from Medical Physician or licensed professional on official letterhead including specific dates of treatment and condition warranting appeal
- Military– Orders listing dates of activation
- Death in immediate family– Funeral Service Bulletin showing relationship to deceased (immediate family members include: husband, wife, son, daughter, father, mother, stepparents, brother, sister, grandparents, grandchildren, stepchildren, foster children, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law and father-in-law.
- Natural disaster– official newspaper article from area in resident
- Natural disaster (work related)– Letter on official letterhead from employers Human Resource Department
- Attempted to Drop – used for student who attempt to drop all course(s) in CampusConnection prior to the "Last Day to Drop or Withdraw to Zero Credits" and receive the following error “Contact the Academic Records/Registrar's Office on your campus for assistance.”
Reason for Denial of an Appeal
- If the appeal is not received within the allotted time frame as outlined in the Student Policy – Course Drop, Withdraw to Zero Credits, Drop/Withdraw Appeals.
- Failure to follow proper drop/withdraw procedures.
- Lack of knowledge of applicable dates and deadlines.
- Changes in job, work schedule or employment (*unless related to a natural disaster with sufficient documentation).
- Failure to verify class schedule and/or schedule changes.
- Non-attendance of class(es).
- Personal errors in judgment regarding:
- Availability of finances to pay associated charges
- Class work load and academic ability
- Time management
- Availability of transportation to and from class
- Dissatisfaction with course content or method of instruction. If appealing is for this reason, please contact the appropriate Dean.
- Inadequate, late application or loss of eligibility of financial aid, scholarships, or third party authorization.
- Non-receipt of information/notices sent to student's email and/or USPS address.
- Not benefiting from:
- A fee (e.g. wishing to appeal the mandatory/student/class/course/program fees)
- Course credits in regard to degree requirements or changes in major
- Lack of proper, descriptive documentation.
Note: Remember the burden of proof is on you. The more complete, and specific you can be, the less chance of misunderstanding and the better the Academic Records Office can perform their task.