BSC offers online classes in nearly every discipline as well as several online-only programs. Nearly two-thirds of our student body is enrolled in at least one online course and 44 percent are enrolled only in online courses.
While online learning offers great convenience and flexibility, it requires great discipline and self-motivation as well. Online courses are not easier than on-campus courses, your ability to guide and direct your own learning will be key to your success. An online class is not an independent study where you work at your own pace. Instead, you will have weekly assignments, quizzes and tests. Students are required to meet deadlines and participate in discussions on a schedule set by your instructor. Students must log on daily to keep up to date with class announcements, assignments and information relevant to the course.
1. Application for Admission
These documents may be faxed to the admissions office at 701-224-2500 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Non-refundable $35 application fee*
- Students who meet one of the following criteria are exempt from the application fee:
- You previously paid the application fee
- You are active duty military and as proof provide one of the following:
- Military ID indicating Active Duty Status - verified in person only
- Leave and Earning Statement (LES)
- Orders indicating Active Duty Status
To be considered official, the transcripts must be received by BSC in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution.
2. All Official Transcripts
US Transcript - To send an official electronic transcript, please use the following sites: parchment.com, getmytranscript.com, and scrip-safe.com.
- High School Transcript or GED. Exemptions to this policy may be granted if you have completed 24 or more semester hours of college level coursework. If you are a current high school student a hold will be placed on your account until the final high school transcript is received.
- College/University transcripts. Including any transcripts for credits completed while in high school. In progress transcripts will be required for any institution currently in attendance. A final transcript will also be required once grades are posted.
If those services are not available for you college(s) please request an official transcript be sent to:
Bismarck State College
PO Box 5587
Bismarck, ND 58506-5587
Transcripts from countries other than the United States must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). The evaluation form may be obtained at www.WES.org. The form must be submitted with official transcripts/academic records from institutions attended, along with word-for-word English translations. There will be a cost to the student for the service charged by World Education Services.
Official transcripts must be received from ALL institutions previously attended.
3. ON - Campus students documented proof of immunity to the following diseases
North Dakota Residents: www.ndhealth.gov/Immunize/Public/ImmRecord
- measles, mumps, and rubella 2 doses if student was born after 1/1/1957
- meningitis (meningococcal) - meningitis information
- All students 21 years of age and younger must provide documentation of vaccination of Meningitis
- Vaccination must be AFTER age 16
- NOTE: Meningococcal-B is a separate Meningitis vaccination. It does NOT meet the NDUS requirement
Exemptions to this policy may be granted if your beliefs preclude participation in an immunization program.
4. Placement Test Scores
Bismarck State College (BSC) along with the North Dakota University System (NDUS) requires all students to take a placement assessment. The purpose of placement testing at BSC is to match the academic readiness of the incoming student with the academic requirements of the curriculum. Although the tests do not affect admission to the college, students will be required to meet established criteria in certain courses and programs.
The following Placement Exams are preferred by BSC:
The assessment may be waived by the following:
- ACT or SAT must be dated within the last five years
- Compass or ACCUPLACER dated within the last three years
Bismarck State College offers the ACCUPLACER exam. For further details or to schedule an exam please click here.
- Remedial or College level English and Math courses successfully completed at a regionally accredited institution
- Baccalaureate or higher degree has been earned from a regionally accredited institution