Skip to main content

Student Complaint Process | Bismarck State College

to the top of the page
Home Page

Student Complaint Process

As a regionally  accredited institution, Bismarck State College has a set of standards and policies that guides our  delivery of programs and services. These policies can also be found in our Official Catalog. Our catalog and website outline the appeal  process for administrative and academic decisions.

The North Dakota University System and Higher Learning Commission  

Students who feel their  complaint has not been resolved through the College's procedures above, may  contact the North Dakota University System by calling 701-328-2960 . Students  who have concerns regarding the college's compliance with the Standards for Accreditation, not a specific student  complaint, the student may contact Bismarck State College's regional  accrediting agency, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. For  information on this process, please consult Complaints Against  Affiliated Institutions.  For guidance on filing a complaint, email

The Department of Education

 The Higher Education Opportunity  Act (Public Law 110-315) (HEOA) was enacted on August 14, 2008, and  reauthorizes the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA).

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) contains numerous federal  reporting and disclosure requirements for information from various  administrative areas of higher education institutions.

BSC has created a Consumer Information website to  provide quick access to this data.

What Bismarck State College is Doing

Bismarck State College is currently working  cooperatively with higher education authorities in all states and other U.S.  jurisdictions to ensure compliance with any other state and federal  authorization requirements that govern the offering of online courses in those  states, including complaint processes. BSC will continue to monitor  developments in the jurisdictions in which it enrolls students, and, if  authorization or licensure is or becomes necessary, we will work with those  jurisdictions to obtain approvals.

Complaint Resolution Contacts by State

Complaint Resolution Contacts by State

Bismarck State College  is required to have contact information on its web site for out-of-state  students who want to file a complaint within their home state. This list is  subject to change and the college is working with a number of national  organizations to update it as needed.

Please  open the document, then click on your state's link to be connected to the  complaint form or to your state's Department of Higher Education. If an agency  is not listed for your state, you may contact the departments of education or  higher education, or your Attorney General's office, regardless of whether BSC  is required to be registered in that state. For any further questions, please  call the College's Provost Office for assistance at (701) 224-5428.