Skip to main content

Residency | Bismarck State College

to the top of the page
Home Page


Residency for tuition purposes is determined through information the student provides on the Admission application to enroll at Bismarck State College. Numerous factors are considered when coding a student's residence such as:
  • Birthplace
  • Home/mailing address
  • Parent address
  • Place of High School Graduation

Resident Tuition Law and Guidelines

Completing Residency Application

  1. Login to Campus Connection
  2. Select eForms
  3. Select Resident Student Status Form
  4. Complete the form and attach required documentation
  5. Click Submit
  6. Check your student email and watch Campus Connection for communication regarding your application.

Student Residency Types

North Dakota Resident

Residency for tuition purposes will be determined by using the definitions set forth in NDCC section 15-10-19.1.  Review the Resident Tuition Law and Guidelines on the State Board of Higher Education website under North Dakota University System Procedures.
  • Dependent child whose parent has been a legal resident of North Dakota for 12 months or greater from the start of the term you are applying
  • 18 years of age and have lived in North Dakota for 12 months or greater from the start of the term you are applying
  • Graduated from a North Dakota High School
  • Benefitted employee of the North Dakota University System or a spouse/dependent thereof
  • Married to a person who is a resident for tuition purposes
  • Legal resident of the state for at least three consecutive years within six years prior to the beginning of the academic term you are applying
North Dakota Military-Veteran
You may qualify for North Dakota Resident/Military-Veteran, even if you are not a resident of North Dakota, if you are one of the following:
  • Veteran as defined in North Dakota Century Code section 37-01-40
  • Active Duty member of the Armed Forces
  • Member of the National Guard
  • Member of the Armed Forces Reserve Component
  • Military Veteran
  • Spouse or Dependent of a full-time active duty member of the armed forces, member of the National Guard, or member of the Armed Forces Reserve Component
  • Spouse or Dependent of a Veteran as defined in section 37-01-40, including a veteran who is eligible to transfer entitlement under the Post 9-11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008
Minnesota Tuition Reciprocity
Effective September 1975, the states of Minnesota and North Dakota enacted a tuition reciprocity agreement. This means that legal residents of Minnesota and their dependents may attend Bismarck State College and pay the Minnesota Reciprocity tuition rate that is lower than the MHEC rate. To qualify, students would need to apply through the MN Office of Higher Education.

  • Go to
  • Click on (or hover over) Paying for College
  • Click on Online Applications
  • Click on the Tuition Reciprocity link (listed below "Online Applications" header)
  • Locate the heading "For which academic year are you applying for benefits?" and select an academic year (and/or semester). 
  • Select Yes to continue on to the "Online Tuition Reciprocity Application"
  • Select Bismarck State College, Bismarck from the "Eligible Colleges" drop-down, complete the form*, and press Continue
  • Print off a copy of the "Congratulations" letter for your records
  • New student
  • Transfer Student
  • Student who previously filed for reciprocity but had never enrolled in a course at BSC
  • Returning student who is enrolling and has taken a break in semesters
  • A new application for admission to BSC requires new approval for Minnesota Reciprocity by the MN Office of Higher Education.
*Minnesota residents will be considered MHEC Residents until they have been approved for Minnesota Reciprocity by the MN Office of Higher Education. 
Questions may be directed to: 
Minnesota Office of Higher Education 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350 St. Paul, MN 55108-5227 1-800-657-3866 or 1-651-642-0567 
For faster processing: Save a copy of the "Congratulations" page and submit to BSC Student Finance at: 

U.S. Resident, Manitoba, Saskatchewan  
Students seeking the U.S. Resident, Manitoba, Saskatchewan tuition rate must be legal residents of the United States, with the exception of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. A student whose residency is coded at one of the tuition categories listed below receives the U.S. Resident, Manitoba, Saskatchewan tuition rate:
  • Contiguous:  Residents of Montana, South Dakota, Manitoba and Saskatchewan
  • Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC):   Residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio or Wisconsin.
  • Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE):  Residents from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
  • Alumni Dependent:  This rate is applicable to students who are children or spouses of graduates of a North Dakota University System Institution.
  • Non-Resident:  U.S. Citizens not falling into one of the above-mentioned tuition categories.
International Resident 
Students who are not U.S citizens, either native or naturalized, and do not have a Permanent resident card, will be coded as International for tuition purposes.  

If you have further questions regarding this residency coding, please contact the Student Finance Office at any of the following phone numbers:
  • 701-224-5533 (last name A-H)
  • 701-224-5691 (last name I-R)
  • 701-224-5706 (last name S-Z)

Locating Your Current Tuition Rate

Students who are not in agreement with their current residency coding for tuition have the right to request a review of their residency by submitting the appropriate application based on their legal resident status along with the required supporting documentation. Residency can only be reviewed for the current term of enrollment, not for a prior or future term.

  1. Log into your Campus Connection account to verify your tuition rate. 
  2. On the Student Homepage, click on the Financial Account tile.
  3. On the left-hand side, select Account Summary 


  4. On the top of the page, select Bismarck State College as the Institution, select the current Account Term from drop down menus.""
  5. Under the Tuition and Fees section is where you would see what tuition rate you are being billed. In the example provided below, the student is being billed at the ND Resident Tuition Rate.

*It is the student's responsibility to know what tuition rate they are being billed each term. Please check your Campus Connection Account to verify the tuition rate you are currently being billed.

  • Residency is reviewed with each new Bismarck State College Admissions application.
  • Applications are required to be submitted within the term the student is enrolled and will not be accepted for a prior or a future term.
  • Applications are required to be submitted prior to finals week of the current semester the student is enrolled, or else the change will be reviewed for the next consecutive term.
  • If approved; tuition charges are then adjusted according to the new residency status for the approved semester only, with no previous terms adjusted, credited, or refunded.
  • If not approved a new residency application would need to be submitted if a student would want to apply for a residency status change again.
  • If there is a break in enrollment, a new residency application will need to be re-submitted to prove residency.

Contact BSC Student Finance
  • In Person: Schafer Hall, First Floor, Student Finance
  • Phone Numbers:
    • 701-224-5533 (last name A-H)
    • 701-224-5691 (last name I-R)
    • 701-224-5706 (last name S-Z)