Skip to main content

Apply for GI Bill | Bismarck State College

to the top of the page
Home Page

Apply for GI Bill

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. Government website at

If you've never received GI Bill Benefits, you'll need to complete VA Form 22-1990. This form is the application for chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607. After the VA has determined you're eligible, BSC will need a copy of your certificate of eligibility to certify your enrollment in the college. Prior to receipt of your certificate of eligibility, BSC can pre-certify your enrollment if you bring a copy of your application along with a copy of your NOBE or DD-214 to the BSC Veterans Services office in Jack Science Center 312. It is also helpful to submit a copy of your Kicker Contract (if you have one). The most commonly used education benefits are:

Chapter 30 - Active Duty
Chapter 32 - (VEAP) - Post Vietnam
Chapter 33 - Post 911 GI Bill

Chapter 1606 - Guard/Reserve - active duty less than 90 days
Chapter 1607 (REAP) - Guard/Reserve - active duty (federal orders) more than 90 days

     • To apply online go to or visit with your BSC Veterans Office located in the National Energy of Excellence building in room 346 or at 701-224-2576.

     • Resources:
       - VA Education Office 1-888-442-4551    
       - Order DD214 online

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation for those with a service connected disability. For more information and application procedures, please call 1-800-827-1000.

Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents - Survivors and Dependents - Complete VA Form 22-5490 available in the BSC Veteran Services office or at Your county Veterans Service office can help secure the needed VA records when applying for this benefit.

Burleigh County Veterans Service Office
221 N 5th St
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: 701-222-6698

Morton/Oliver County Veteran Services Office
210 2nd Ave NW
Mandan, ND 58554
Phone: 701-667-3365

Always allow 6-12 weeks for the VA to process your initial application and any subsequent changes in status regarding enrollment or benefit chapter. Feel free to contact the BSC Veterans Services office with questions or concerns you may have during the process.

If you have previously used your GI Bill education benefits while attending another college, you are transferring to BSC, and you wish to continue with the benefits, you must complete the Change of Program/Place of Training form which is VA Form 22-1995 at or VA Form 22-5495 for Chapter 35 and provide a copy to the BSC Veterans Services Office in JSC 312.

PLEASE REMEMBER: It takes the VA approximately 60-90 days to process your application.  If you haven't heard from them by the 6th week after your application was submitted, give them a call at 1-888-442-4551.